The Second Saturday Conventions started several years ago when Fr. Soji Olikkal, the Chaplain to the Syro-Malabar Catholics, started running retreats in his parish at Balsall Common. The numbers attending these retreats grew dramatically, so the venue was changed first to St. Catherine’s in Birmingham, and then to the Bethel Convention Centre in West Bromwich as thousands of Catholics from the Kerala community all over the country started to attend on a regular basis. They became so popular that one day Conventions were started in other parts of the country. Now, Fr Soji and the team were inspired to open up the conventions to a wider audience and decided that the days should include an English stream as well as Malayalam, the native language of Kerala. Now, thousands of multi ethnic, linguistic people gather together from all over the UK and abroad to celebrate their faith.
Tentative timetable for Second Saturday Bible Convention
- 08.00 am – Rosary
- 08.30 am – Praise and Worship
- 09.30 am – Separate Holy Masses in English (Latin rite) and Malayalam (Syrian rite)
- 10.30 am – Separating English and Malayalam streams
- 11.00 am – Music/Praise and Worship
- 11.30 am – Talk by the main preacher
- 01.00 pm – Tea Break
- 01:20 pm – Praise and Worship
- 01:30 pm – Testimony/Healing Service/Talk
- 02:30 pm – Announcements/flyer and magazing distribution
- 02:55 pm – Back to the main hall
- 03:00 pm – Adoration
- 04:00 pm – Day ends
Second Saturday Catholic Convention
Bethel Convention Centre, Kelvin Way
West Bomwich, B70 7JW
From Junction 1 of the M5 take the A4252 towards West Bromwich. At the first roundabout turn right onto A4182 Second roundabout straight over onto Kelvin Way Half a mile down, Bethel is on the right hand side.
Sandwell & Dudley Station is about 10 minutes walk away. Turn right out of the station then turn right at the next roundabout. The Centre is opposite.
- General: Shaji: 00447878149670 / Anish : 0044 7760254700
- To arrange coaches from your area: Biju : 0044 7859 890 267
- Mail us: email@example.com
Free entry / Free onsite parking / A Day of Fasting and Prayer